Speechless

For those that know me in person, my volume on twitter is certainly not inconsistent with my volume in life.  I love learning, sharing, discussing, and many would say talking (they would be correct).  So that is why it is exceedingly rare when an event, particularly one tied to a few of my passions (The Davis Academy & learning) leave me speechless. As even my speechlessness needs a few paragraphs, I must share what I saw, while I contemplate what I think.

What I saw?

Parents and students gathered early this morning to celebrate learning and history through engaging in a simulation of the 2nd Continental Congress.

Students proudly shared the content of the time period, perspective of their assigned delegations, and an understanding of the perspective (and often a counter argument) of the other delegations.

Side thought: This content is so and too often assessed through a “please be sure you answer all test questions in full sentences and give supporting details” format.

Students from an 8th grade class in Nebraska and a 5th Grade class in Illinois connected with our Continental Congress to take part in the discussion, ask questions, and vote.

Students reflecting on the process, discussing the challenges related to Congressional discussion, and attempting to align beliefs (or at least votes) from people with different perspectives.

What I am thinking?

Mostly a lot of WOW.  Wow at the poise and preparation of our students to take on such a task.  Wow at the excitement and engagement that this type of learning brought out in the students.  Wow to Mr. Barry for his passion for the subject and his ability to share and inspire that passion from his students. Wow at being able to engage with the students learning incorporating the social media tools that are so native to their world but in a manner that is imbedded and enhances their learning. Wow at the awesome teachers who connected with us to help enhance the experience of our students and share the experience with their own students.

Wow at the potential, possibilities, ideas in my head…etc.

Well I guess maybe not so speechless after all, but certainly not all I have or will have to say on once fully digested.

Below is the link to the tweets, vidoes, and photos from today as well as the letter from Mr. Barry.

——————————————————————————————————————————-

Storify From Reenactment of Continental Congress

——————————————————————————————————————————

Faculty & Friends,

I cannot begin to express my thanks for this morning!  This was my 9th Continental Congress re-enactment, and it was by far the best.  There are no words that could explain my emotions right now.  We Skyped two schools – in Illinois and Nebraska – Tweeted like crazy, and stayed in character, and debated independence for hours!  The students were simply amazing!  Thank you to all faculty who were able to come down and see our Congress!

If you get the chance, take a look at #DavisMS tonight on your Twitter, or Check out the Tweets by @UGAFrank or @MrBarry628, for they are truly wonderful.  Thank you to all, and Huzzah!  We are a free and independent nation. 

God Save Our American States!

George Washington

General of the Continental Army

One thought on “Speechless”

1. It was such an honor and a pleasure for my students and I to share in your experience and learn from you all! Thank you for including us in your AMAZING event!

– (The 5th grade classroom in Illinois)