Treasure

rumi

Sometimes, the inertia of not writing seems like an insurmountable force.  This has certainly been the case for me this month.  At the cognitive level, I know writing is an essential tool that helps me reflect on the events and thoughts of my past, as well as inspires idea synthesis for my thoughts for today and in to the future.   At the tactile level, it can feel laborious.  Therefore, I pose the following question. How do I push through the laborious to get to the rich reward (or treasure)?  

While the above is more a stream of consciousness word dump rather than a thought out, planned link to this month’s #blogamonth topic on treasured resources, it does seem to fit (synthesis in action).   There is a myriad of amazing educators in our community who inspire me every day. Not only with their passion to improve the education of the students that are in their charge, but to extend their knowledge to the field of education in general.  George Couros (@gcouros) , AJ Juliani (@ajjuliani), Justin Tarte (@justintarte), Brad Gustafson (@gustafsonbrad), and Todd Nesloney (@techninjatodd) are but a few of the amazing examples of such passionate educators.  Moreover, there are thought provokers that inspire me to lead, teach and live a better life, including Angela Maiers (@AngelaMaiers), Lolly Daskal (@lollydaskal), Alec Couros (@courosa), and Mark Weston (@shiftparadigm).  In addition to inspiration from these individuals, I have been fortunate enough to attend, present, and lead fantastic conferences including Educon, GaETC, ISTE, FETC and a host of Edcamps throughout the southeast. And then, there are books, twitter chats, voxer groups, connected colleagues, and blogs, and the list goes on.   While a simple answer to the question regarding my most treasured resources as an educator and administrator may eclipse the acceptable word count and evolve into a doctoral thesis, my greatest inspiration comes in the form of the intangible joy and passion that I receive from my school community. 

I am inspired by the joy of our kindergarteners getting out of their cars in the morning to hug the teachers on carpool duty.  I am inspired by the passion of our parents as they embrace our new initiative, DPU (Davis Parent University), which offers interactive learning sessions on topics ranging from September 11th to group cooking classes.  I am inspired by the dedication and professionalism of my team who are constantly evolving and enhancing their practice to meet and exceed the needs and desires of our students.  I am inspired by the experience of being a member of this community both through my eyes and through the eyes of my kids who come to and from school each day with an enthusiasm for both what they have learned and what lies in the days ahead. 

In the end, there is no doubt that the work we do every day is a labor, but it is equally true, that it is a labor of love.  I am grateful to all the people who allow me to perch upon their shoulders and borrow from their creative genius, such that I may reap their rich rewards.