Connectedness

Connectedness is a powerful and important part of who I am and how I do what I do. Moreover, it permeates all facets of my life.

As a father and husband, my primary connectedness, I am interwoven with the hopes, achievements, losses, and dreams of my family. It is my greatest pride to watch my children grow, and my greatest challenge to let them grow. While I, like most parents, would love to shield them from pain, disappointment, and failure, I am aware that this is part of the learning and growing process.   I feel truly blessed to have them growing at a school with caring teachers who appreciate them for who they are as individuals, and who have high expectations for who they can be. I am connected to the teachers in the noble partnership to support them as they work to get the most out of my kids both in accentuating strengths and improving in opportunities for growth.

As an educator, I am connected to a love of learning and a passion for individual, collective, organizational growth. I delight in the fantastic students, parents and colleagues who broaden and sometimes challenge my thinking. I treasure the books, blogs, podcast, and twitter resources that share both amazing ideas and personal reflections toward this growth. I look forward with great anticipation to each edcamp, conference, retreat, check-in…etc. that allows me the time to process and discuss the growth process and growth mindset with liked minded individuals. Lastly, I love being able to leverage all these connections to assist other connections in accessing resources, advice, or support for their own learning.

A number of years ago, I wrote a blog in which I said “it is not enough to be connected if you are not connecting.” I still believe this, as this is my connection to my purpose.

3 thoughts on “Connectedness”

1. I love the idea of the noble partnership. Truly, nothing could be more noble than this connected team helping raise the next generation.

2. We all go through different phases of “connection”. Depending on our personality types, we may tend to start small and then ultimately grow our connection comfort level. It is so true what you say about the importance of needing to connect to really be connected. It’s definitely a process that the more you experience, the better you get at it.