I appreciate the honor and assignment that I received when Matt Wachel @mattwachel nominated me as blogger to join the Homework Club/Eleven Challenge. Similar to Matt I often find it difficult to carve out time to do as much blogging as I would like to do, but I do enjoy the process and result when I do make it a priority. While Matt is not as frequent a blogger as he would like to be, he routinely contributes to my learning through sharing resources and ideas via twitter. If you are not already following him, you should and will be glad you did.
My First Task – 11 Random Facts about Me.
1. I love playing video games with my kids (or without them)
2. I love playing any game with cards, die or tiles.
3. I am a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan.
4. I am an insatiable reader who loves reading pedagogy, leadership, philosophy, and humor books.
5. I enjoy fiction novels that are a part of series so as to allow a longer investment. (a few of my favorites are The Courtney Series by Wilbur Smith, W.E.B. Griffin’s The Corp Series, and unashamedly a huge fan of the Potter and Artemis Fowl Series).
6. I am a huge fan of George Carlin’s humor and books.
7. I am a compulsive computationalist.
8. I have great admiration for the power and impact of inspirational videos and I love to find and share these with friends, parents and colleagues.
9. I love improve and musical theatre.
10. Cowboy boots are my greatest vanity.
11. I believe Sriracha sauce is a great condiment for everything from breakfast through desert.
This was a bit challenging to answer because I don’t like to talk about myself very often. But here goes:
My Second Task – Answer Matt’s Questions
1. What book have your recently read?
My most recent read is a fabulous book that I read and I am now sharing with me teacher and admin teams, Great Ways to Sabotage a Good Conversation by Paul W. Schenk.
2. If you could sit down with any two people from history, who would you choose and why?
With only 2 selections this is an exceedingly challenging question. I am split between the amazing leaders of movements and people who showed faith and determination in the face of insurmountable challenges and personal risk (Mandella, MLK Jr., Dali Lama, Ghandi), the incredible thinkers who have so contributed to our current understanding of the world around us (Socrates, Plato, Euclid, Edison, Einstein), the legends of sports and culture (Jackie Robinson, Bobby Jones, Jim Morrison, M.C. Escher, Michalangelo), and my own family members who I never had the chance to meet or left this world when I was far too young. In the end, I think if given the opportunity to sit down with two people for history, I would likely choose my father and grandfather who both passed when I was only 12 years old.
3. Hamburgers or Hotdogs?
If this were hamburger or Italian sausage, I may have to deliberate, but I am definitely a burger over dog person.
4. What is your favorite season of the year and why?
Fall: Start to the school year, fall holidays, and football.
5. Which person in your PLN do you find most interesting and why?
I am not sure I can identify or single out one person. I have such admiration for the divergent thinking and strong opinions that many of those who are close and dear to me share with me on a regular basis. I have great admiration for each of these for the times they challenge my thinking as well as the times they agree with it.
6. What song/album have you recently listened to?
Embarrassingly, I have been listening to a bunch of minecraft parody’s on youtube thanks to my sons who are in love with everything minecraft.
7. Who influenced you to be an educator?
I think the most influential people in my decision to become and continue to be an educator are the incredible students I have had the opportunity to work with in the past and the ones I hope to continue to work with in the future. I was originally an actuary, but I did not like the cubicle. Then I was a bartender, but I did not love the industry. While bartending, I was offered the opportunity to volunteer with some gifted math students, and I almost instantaneously new I had found my place.
8. What are you most proud of this past year?
I think I am most proud of the culture of learning and growing that I see amongst all members of my school community.
9. If you did not go into education, what profession would you have chosen and why?
I think I would have likely either stayed in the world of actuarial science or accounting.
10. If you could switch shoes with one person, who would it be and why?
My 6 year old. I think the learning and growing that our students are going to be exposed to in our culture of information and connectedness is going to be mind-blowing. I would love to go back and learn it anew.
11. What is your New Year’s Resolution for 2014?
I am not a fan of New Year’s resolutions for the same reason I am not a fan of Valentine’s Day. I think every day we need to be setting goals for improvement and growth just as every day we need to be letting the people we love and cherish know. My resolution for today is the same as it will be for the 31st, which is to be better every tomorrow as a parent, husband, educator, friend and human than I am today.
My Third Task – Nominate 11 Bloggers to Join the Homework Club
Krissy Venosdale @venspired http://venspired.com/
Suzy Brooks @SimplySuzy http://blogs.falmouth.k12.ma.us/simplysuzy/
Suzanne Gibbs @Suz_Gibbs http://suzanneclassroom.blogspot.com/
Shawn Storm @sstorm01 http://reachingyourdream.blogspot.com/
Stacy Brown @21ststacy http://5davistech.blogspot.com/ (one of her class blogs written by students)
Terri Eichholz @terrieichholz http://engagetheirminds.wordpress.com/
Devon Caldwell @india0309 http://kinderdiva.blogspot.com/
David Culberhouse @DCulberhouse http://dculberh.wordpress.com/
Cathy Jo Nelson @cathyjo http://blog.cathyjonelson.com/
Diana-Grace Morris @dianagracenz http://exploriosity.blogspot.co.nz/
Shannon Miller @shannonmmiller http://vanmeterlibraryvoice.blogspot.com/
My Fourth Task – Questions for you
1. What is your favorite movie of all time?
2. If you could go to have attended any concert anytime in history, what would it have been?
3. What do you do for fun? Hobby?
4. What two guests would make the best comedic pair as co-hosts for the Oscars?
5 .Cat, Dog or Goldfish? Why…
6. How do you caffeinate?
7. Favorite twitter chat?
8. Best place you ever vacationed?
9. Best book you’ve read in 2013?
10. Favorite television shows?
11. What is one thing you never/rarely share that you are exceptionally proud of?
Here is your Task
1.Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
2.Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3.Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4.List 11 bloggers.
5.Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you